Local B2B e-commerce shops, national B2B marketing and international B2B marketing require different SEO strategies. But there is one thing that all those strategies should have in common: They aim at exceeding the strategies of other enterprises. Focus on the traffic rate and the SEO strategies of your competitors to create effective SEO strategies on your own. The competitor analysis plays an important role for B2B enterprises, but very few companies know how to conduct insightful analyses.
SEO competitor analysis in 4 steps
- Get to know your competitors
The structure of search engine result pages (SERPs) incorporates different alternatives for users to answer their requests. That makes it easy to find serious competitors. Local businesses and international enterprises might have different priorities.
Important questions to answer:
- How do your competitors create added value?
- Is the tone of other websites professional or personal? Which strategies do they pursue with their blogs and which landing pages generate traffic?
- How do other enterprises present themselves on the market? How do they promote their philosophy?
- Study the websites of your competitors
Before estimating the stregths and weaknesses of your competitors, you should focus on their online presence. These six aspects are crucial for the user experience of your shared target group:
- Visualization on desktops and smartphone displays
- Homepage structure
- Templates and design
- Loading time for landing pages and shop functions
- Shop benefits (free delivery, sales, etc.)
- Evaluate the content strategies of your competitors
Which messages do others distribute and how do they communicate those messages to their target group? These questions constitute the key point of your search engine optimization. Try concentrate on three main aspects:
- Product comparison – How do other webshops present their products and services? Keyword research is an important factor at this point.
- Inbound marketing – How do others incorporate inbound marketing strategies?
- Content optimization: – Internal links and the meta structure of websites play an important role in current search engine algorithms.
- Find out more about the analytical tools of your competitors
Tools like SEMrush, Screaming Frog and SpyFu enable the analysis of SEM and SEO strategies of your competitors. The mass of possible tools and analytical strategies makes it hard for operators to oversee all the essential aspects of those analyses.
Factors to consider within a B2B competitor analysis
- Compare the Pay-Per-Click performance (PPC).
- Find out how much budget your competitors spend on paid ads.
- PPC keyword research.